Sunday, June 9, 2013

Orange Monkey Bread with Blueberry sauce

I don't usually go for super sugary stuff in the morning. It usually leaves me weighed down and sluggish 9 am (well, I say that, but the real reason is that I can't limit myself to a reasonable amount of this deliciousness. The real real reason is that I'm just too lazy to do more than toast some bread and cook an egg or two in the morning). But it was hubby's birthday, and he wanted orange monkey bread, so that's what he got. I've made this several times, but this time, since we're living minimally here in our temporary housing, I had to make do with brown sugar instead of powdered sugar, and a round casserole dish instead of a bundt pan. Honestly, I think that it worked out fine, so if you need to you can totally do it this way, but I would recommend doing it the way the recipe says. The way I did it left a puddle of buttery orange sugar at the bottom of the pan that spilled everywhere when I flipped the pan over. Still delicious, but potentially hazardous, especially if you're not expecting it. Anyway, enjoy! It really is as good as it looks...possibly better. :)


Orange Monkey Bread with Blueberry Sauce

1/4 cup melted butter
½ cup orange juice
grated orange peel
1 cup powdered sugar
15 to 20 frozen rolls
Combine butter, orange juice, orange peel, and powdered sugar.  Place frozen rolls in bundt pan, evenly distributed. Pour orange mixture over rolls. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise overnight.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until done. Remove rolls by turning pan over onto serving platter. Top with glaze, if desired.

Blueberry topping:
1 ½ cup blueberries
1 cup orange juice
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch

In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, orange juice, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and slowly add it to the blueberry mixture. Heat until the mixture has thickened. Serve over your monkey bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment